Mike Pence, the vice president-elect who was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year, said on Monday that he’s “very, very much alive.”
“I’m not going to lie, I am very, very, much alive,” he told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos.
“I am fighting every day for the people of Indiana,” he said.
“Every day, I’m working with the cancer community to make sure that I can continue to fight for those who are struggling to survive,” Pence added.
“This is a very tough fight, but we will win.
We will prevail,” Pence said.
“And we are going to win, we will prevail.”
Earlier on Monday, Pence told reporters that he had not spoken with Trump, but had spoken with Pence’s doctors.
He was diagnosed in May with Stage IV lung cancer.
He was also given the standard chemo regimen, which included radiation and chemotherapy.
He had been in treatment at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston for months.
Pence, 68, said he has been working closely with the health care system and that the vice presidential team had “worked really hard to get us into this.”
Pence’s son, Vice President Mike Pence Jr., also attended a rally on Sunday in Indianapolis, where he told supporters he was grateful for their support.
“We need you,” he tweeted.
“We need your prayers and your support.”
He said he had spoken to Trump “several times” and has spoken with his doctors.
“They told me, you know, we’re all very grateful for the support that you’ve given us,” Pence told the crowd.
“There’s been no other president who has had the support from the people that we’ve been with in our family,” he added.
“This has been a very challenging, challenging, and humbling experience for our family, and I’m really grateful for it.”
Polls showed that a majority of Americans are supportive of Pence, a Republican, who had campaigned hard for him.
His win, however, comes after a divisive campaign that included accusations of collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government.